QUESTION - How do you double
clutch a TR3 non-syncro first gear transmission?
ANSWER - You only need to
double clutch when going from second gear to first gear while
the car is moving. Do not shift from higher gears down to first
or into reverse gear while the car is moving.
- Press down on the clutch pedal while taking the other foot
off the accelerator pedal.
- Move the gear box into neutral
- Release the clutch pedal
- Rev the engine briefly
- Press the clutch pedal down a second time.
- Move the lever into first gear and release the clutch pedal.
- Resume pressure on the accelerator pedal.
The object of double clutching is to match the speeds of the
various shafts, gears and splines before engaging the next ratio.
On downshifts the engine is revved to speed up the input components
to match the speed of the output components.
Experience teaches how high to rev the engine when performing
down shifts into non-syncro gears.
The synchromesh mechanism achieves this speed matching by "dragging"
the components to a matching speed with the synchronizer rings.
Return to the FAQ contents Return
to the page top